Dr. Nick Yiannios D.D.S. has provided personalized dental care to thousands of families. Our patients come from near and far to experience the warm, individualized care we provide. We pride ourselves in utilizing the most modern equipment and methods available.
In order to provide nothing but the best to our patients, our office uses state-of-the-art technologies in all our procedures. These new technologies allow us to detect dental concerns at early stages, treat your dental issues with precision, and provide stunning and customized restorations and solutions. When you visit our office you can be confident that you are receiving the finest and most advanced in dental care. A flagship example of one of these technologies follows:
CEREC®visually demonstrating the capabilities of this technology by an adept operator (himself) which you can view here for more information. CAD/CAM
This dental CAD/CAM technology allows the creation of high quality all-ceramic crowns, veneers, inlays and onlays ON-SITE the SAME DAY by Dr. Nick. Normally, such restorations take at least 2 weeks to be made in a dental laboratory and at least 2 visits to the office before the permanent prosthesis is put in place permanently. With CAD/CAM, a special infrared camera is used to take a picture of the tooth in need of repair and then computer software is used by Dr. Nick to design the restoration from the picture. Diamonds in a milling chamber carve the restoration out of a solid ceramic block of a color and size that matches your tooth, and then Dr. Nick customizes the final result by applying stains and then a glazing material which is permanently fused to the restoration in a high temperature glazing oven. The final result is then fused to the tooth with bonding materials and matches beautifully! Dr. Nick is an expert in CEREC CAD/CAM Technology. Many years ago he authored a book explaining and visually demonstrating the capabilities of this technology by an adept operator (himself) which you can view here for more information.
Advantages of CAD/CAM to the patient:
Single visit procedure: no need to take a 2nd or 3rd day off of work or school. 1 visit is all it takes, typically 90 minutes per tooth, only ~15 of which is spent in your mouth. The rest of the time you are relaxing or watching us create your tooth in the virtual world and then subsequently in the real world…
- Dr. Nick is in complete control of the final result: because the crown or veneer is designed beside you with the computer software, Dr. Nick has complete control over how it will look and fit, whereas laboratory made restorations are being made by a technician who has not ever even seen the patient. In addition, tiny improvements that mean a world of difference as to the fit of the final result can be made instantly since the patient is still sitting right there!
- No nasty molds of your teeth: instead, a picture is taken!
- No temporary restorations: Ever have a crown or veneer done the normal way? Chances were it was lose, leaky, sensitive, looked off, tasted badly, etc. Not any more with CAD/CAM.
- Less tooth removed in many cases! No more grinding a tooth away for a crown. With CAD/CAM, there are far more conservative possibilities, meaning more natural tooth structure is retained!
- Only one set of local anesthetic injections: Remember, it’s all done in one visit…!
- VERY accurate seal means less sensitivity: CAD/CAM restorations are typically accurate to within 50 microns, which is 5/100 of a millimeter. A good laboratory crown can achieve a similar fit ONLY IF the mold was accurate and did not distort. Remember, there is no impression or mold or outside laboratory with CAD/CAM.
- Chairside customization: All CAD/CAM’s in this practice are stained and glazed in the office to beautify and increase their strength.
- Imperceptible edges: these restorations fit and blend in so well, you will not be able to feel or see the edges! Dr. Nick often leaves much more of your natural tooth structure than would be possible using conventional methods resultant of the aforementioned statement…!
- No gray edges at the gum line: because there is no metal in this fix, there is no metal to show through along the edge of the crown at the gum line.
- Far less breakage: As of April 2015, our office has created over 7,000 CAD/CAM restorations, with only 4 fractured restorations over our 10 years of providing this amazing service.
- Teeth that are oftentimes not restorable with a crown can sometimes be saved: As long as you have some enamel on your tooth, we can almost flat-top the tooth and expect success with a bonded all-ceramic CAD/CAM crown…
- Beautiful porcelain veneers can be created the same day: Wow! Not possible otherwise. Not to mention the subtle nuances associated with the looks and shapes of your front teeth that can be tweaked while you watch, interjecting your own input along the way!
- Onlays and Inlays can be created that same day for your tooth: A dentist without CAD/CAM is bound to prescribe a crown to fix a tooth because it is less likely that your temporary will fall off. A crown removes more tooth structure than say an onlay. Common sense dictates that the less of mother nature that is removed in a surgery, the better. An onlay or inlay is preferable to a crown as less tooth structure is removed.
- X-rays can visualize underneath the restoration: Most lab crowns have metal underneath. X-rays can not penetrate metal. CAD/CAM restorations have no metal, only porcelain, and X-rays do penetrate porcelain. This allows your dentist to more readily catch a problem underneath your prosthesis over time.
When do we not use CAD/CAM?
- When what little is left of the tooth is black looking because of an old root canal: Since these are all porcelain and translucent, the darkness can show-through. Sometimes a lab made restoration with an opaque material under the porcelain to block out the darkness beneath may be indicated in these types of cases.
- Almost never…!
Dr. Nick Yiannios – An experienced CEREC and Cosmetic Dentist in NWA
- Fellow & Accredited Member, The Academy of CAD/CAM Dentistry
- Member, International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology
- Member, International Association of Mercury Free Dentists
- Accreditation Candidate, the Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- 1993 Graduate The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Dental School